Friday, May 7, 2010

I just returned from the village last night and can’t sleep right now, so I thought I would give you all an update:

We left Chiang Mai around 8 am and travelled allllll day until we arrived at the village around 8 pm. It was so wonderful to see everyone again and they all seemed to be in good health and spirits. I had the opportunity to see the medical clinic which is finished and just waiting for furniture to be put in. It looks wonderful and is much nicer than any building I’ve ever seen in the jungle!

I was so tired from the day of travel, as well as the time change, that I fell asleep without dinner. I woke up early the next morning feeling refreshed and ready for a day of work…and it was a good thing because it was one of the most laborious work days I have ever experienced.

We had to carry all of the pipe to the water source and lay it out along the trail…only problem was that it’s a 5 kilometer hike through the jungle and over a couple of mountains in the ridiculous heat. There has not been a lot of rain which has kept it extremely hot.

The rest of the day was spent gluing and pounding the pipe together. We were to far from the village to walk back for lunch, so we brought some bags of rice and pork, and canned fish. We all sat on the ground and ate together which was a lot of fun. Me being a rather large American, I drank all of my water by lunch time, so the missionaries found a fresh water source in the jungle that they said was clean…so far so good!

We finished our work mid-afternoon and started the trek home. That evening I had the opportunity to fellowship with some of the villagers, and an 18 year old villager named Wan Jon translated for me. It was such a blessing.



The next morning we started our trek back to the city. The roads were still in good shape and we made it back by 4pm.

This week I will be working around the ITDP Office helping however I can, as well as trying to learn more about the water systems. I am thinking about going to stay and hotel/hostel where I know a lot of English speaking foreigners go through…I figure it might bring some evangelism opportunities, please pray for that.

God has already taught me so much since I have been here: I was talking to one of the ITDP missionaries named Koh Win. He is an engineer, and has been on staff for almost a year. He was explaining to me how he gets lonely out in the village sometimes…even though he loves it. He told me that a lot of people discourage him from working with the hill tribes because he has a degree, and could be making a lot more money. But in the end, he knows that this is God’s work and that is what matters most. He is even considering going to seminary so that he can better teach the villagers about the gospel. I am thankful for unknown servants like Koh Win…please keep them in prayer.

Because of what Christ has done, is doing, and will do,

Dan

Look below and you will see a video link!

5 comments:

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

Dan, PRAYING!

Thanks for taking the time to post pictures and update us. It sounds like you are working so hard, so I know it is a privilege for you to take the time to do it.

I recall you running out of water when you took the kids to hike to the wall...they are gonna laugh when they see that, lol.

God bless you and keep you safe and healthy,
Love,
The White's

Erin said...

The medical clinic looks amazing!!! I literally can't believe a year ago it was a bunch of cement pillars and a roof...God is sooo good!!!

Aaron said...

Dan,
It's good to hear everything is going well so far. I can't tell you how much I wish I were there. I really miss the missionaries and villagers. Tell Jet, Bundi, Somsok, Mike, Whan-Ja, Soti, and Dora hello, I pray for them and want to see them again. Kels and I will be praying for this years team. God Bless.

Dan Lamm said...

Hey guys! Haha Veronica, I can't believe they told you that...I will get them for that haha!

Erin, it is amazing what GOd has done there!

Aaron, I saw Wan Jon and he is doing great. He was asking about you...I told him we would be going to school together! thanks for your prayers bro!

Honduarschica08 said...

OMG this reminded me of our 6 hour drive from San Pedro Sula to La Paz. It was not has narrow, but the driving was interesting. Honk twice than go! I do want to agree with Veronica, its very much a blessing to read and see the pictures! I really enjoyed reading your blog from 07'. Def made my heart want to just jump into any situation to spread the Word!